Monday, July 1, 2013

June '13 empties

Finished up a whole bunch of stuff and one discard this month. Not bad at all, homebody, not bad at all!

Hate pomegranate but love LOVE the royal jelly one! Both didn't do much for my face in terms of beautification. But the royal jelly smelled so good that I wouldn't mind using it just for that. Used up 2 this month because the weather was absolutely sweltering and having them chilled in the fridge and on my face after is sheer bliss.
Repurchase: No

Claudia Jansen & Co nose strip
Funny story. My face was going through a very dry phase because of the medication I'm on but it's also oily at the same time with the crazy high humidity in summer. My blackheads were annoying the crap out of me and I couldn't stand them anymore so I applied this after my usual nightly shower. Thing is, I exfoliated the night before, and I usually exfoliate again before I put on a nose strip. Left it on for too long, peeled it off, and I saw bright scarlet dots on my nose bridge. Yep, I was bleeding. Actually, that wasn't really funny. And I didn't even manage to get a lot of gunk out.
Repurchase: Yes

Shu Uemura eyelash curler pad
Finally changing the pad after 7 years! I read somewhere that you're supposed to use it for only about 6 months, no? But I wore makeup like once in a month in the past 7 years and didn't curl my eyelashes all that often so I think I can make an exception.
Repurchase: No (not for sale)

E.L.F. minty lip gloss (shade Miami)
My favorite lip gloss, which has been sadly discontinued. Why?! I love the way my lips get all tingly and cool when I slick it on. I even believe that it cools me down in summer, even if it was just for a few minutes. Color wise, it was pretty sheer and did nothing to dress up my face and the applicator doesn't pick much product up at all. I usually have to dip twice just for my bottom lip and twice again for my upper lip. Guess that explains why I could finish it up quickly. That, and also the minty taste.
Repurchase: No (discontinued)

Ban medicated antiperspirant roll on deodorant
This isn't technically a beauty product but I thought it's worth the mention because of how good it is. There's been many comments about how Japanese deodorants are utterly useless and I haven't tried enough of them to know. While I'm not big on antiperspirants in general because they contain aluminum and aren't all that great for our bodies, I do like that this one is unscented and kept me stink free. I wear light perfume and body sprays and hate when my deodorant interferes with my scent of choice. There is some wetness if I'm sweating way excessively (which happens when I take the 25 minute walk to school) but I don't smell. I'm on the fence about this because I want to switch to a more natural deodorant but at the same time I also can't go through an entire day with soaked pits.
Repurchase: Yes

First bottle that I got in Hong Kong had me hooked. I know there is another variant that is generally preferred over this one (don't know why) but this one does exactly what I expect it to. My face doesn't feel stripped or dry and it gets all the warpaint off.
Repurchase: Yes (a few backup bottles in storage)

I have very sensitive skin and while my experimental nature and attention span of a goldfish makes me want to slather every possible product on myself, the (sometimes horrible) reactions that I get after always made me think more than twice. This product is supposed to be suitable for sensitive skin, oil-free and dermatologist tested. Horse crap, I say. I applied a thin layer on my arms (prefer not to go straight to my face) and I broke out in a rash that refused to go away for days. The allergy reaction wasn't as bad as the worst I've had, but it was enough to make Mr. Homebody sit up and notice that my arms had splotchy red patches and they felt like hundreds of little bumps on my skin. The redness went away after a few days but the bumps were more stubborn. Luckily for me, this was thrown in with a bunch of stuff for a swap so I didn't have to spend actual money on it. Mr. Homebody, who has tougher skin and is religious with his sunscreen wanted to try it before I threw it out, until I pointed out that this is purely a chemical sunscreen and I'm not sure if it'd be such a good idea. Out.
Repurchase: No

This baby has been with me for a very long time. I mean, VERY. Got it when I was still living in Malaysia, took it with me to Shanghai and finally ended up here. Like other Biotherm products, I love the fragrance, which I can only describe as fresh and slightly manly, yet totally female-friendly. I know I totally excel at describing scents but, whatever. The exfoliating beads are not too grainy and they don't hurt my skin when applied. With this one, a little goes a long way as the gel is so densely packed with beads that I don't have to work on spreading it around so that I get an even scrub. My face always feels smoother and softer after using this and I absolutely love that I don't get that tight feeling after rinsing. All that said, I'm moving on from Biotherm simply because I prefer to use stuff that have shorter ingredient lists due to my highly reactive and temperamental skin.
Repurchase: No

Can't say how many of these I've used in the span of the past 15 or so years, but I just can't stop using them! As you can see, this one is totally floppy and out of shape and coming loose from the center so it had to go. I find that the bath lily works extremely well for people like me who love lather and suds. They don't grow mold or get that damp smell and they rinse out pretty good. I love the gentle exfoliation that isn't as harsh as say, a body brush or scrub gloves, and I use less product when I have this. 
Repurchase: Yes

E.L.F. Essential Lip Stain (Pink Petal)
The thing with marker/felt tip makeup is that they tend to soak up whatever's on your skin, like saliva and dead skin, possibly small food particles. So, that's just way gross. This marker had a sharp felt tip that proves to be good for precision lining and the tip is saturated just enough to deposit the right amount of product on your lips. The color looks a lot pinker that I'd usually go for but once on my lips, they looked right at home there with that I'm-wearing-a-lip-color-but-it-looks-just-like-my-lips kind of pink. The lasting power, though, isn't great, although that might be the color and not the longevity of the stain itself since it's so light. Apply this on, top it with a balm and you're good to go, for a couple of hours at least. Now, the really horrible thing about this is that awful, awful smell that tells you that something had contaminated it and is multiplying disgusting germs by the bajillion per nano second. I've managed to get only one use out of this before it smelled worse than a month's worth of dirty socks. Out.
Repurchase: No (discontinued)

Cleansing wipes from 100 yen store
One of the better ones that I've tried. I have no loyalty for wipes, really, since I never use them on my face. At most they make their way to my inner arm when I'm swatching makeup, but that's the furthest they'd go. The seal worked pretty good at keeping the moisture in and I was able to go through all 30 sheets with minimal drying out. Problem is, I can't remember exactly which 100 yen shop I got them from when there's one around every corner.
Repurchase: Yes

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion (old formula)
Cult favorite, this one is. To be very honest, I loved it. My parched winter skin was saved by this little tube of awesome. I didn't wake up greasy faced and most of the time I could even use it in the day, and this is saying a lot, coming from someone with oily skin. The texture is so much lighter than the rich cream-type moisturizers that companies churn out for dry skin and it spreads easily with an absorption rate that isn't too time consuming. I don't feel like I have product sitting on top of my skin and this is one of the most important factors for me, even if I was just going to bed and will probably know nothing when I'm asleep. The bad: very long list of ingredients that essentially tells me I'm using too many things on my face that I don't need. I used to think that Clinique was the perfect brand for people like me, no fragrance, dermatologist tested, allergy tested, blah blah blah. But then I started clueing myself in and realized that HORSE CRAP THAT IS A LOT OF CHEMICALS GOING INTO ONE PRODUCT.
Repurchase: No (discontinued)

My absolute favorite oil blotters. I get so much satisfaction from seeing the sheets turn transparent from the oil that's lifted off my greasy face. I'm weird, I know. This is by far the best oil blotters that I've tried, and I've tried many. Even the superior Japanese brands with their powdered and fragranced sheets can't compare to this. With this, I'm shine free in 2 sheets maximum. With the other ones, I can go up to 6, and they're usually bigger, too. I've always just used the press motion when blotting and never wipe like how some people tend to, and I do notice some makeup being lifted off, but I suppose it's normal when my facial oils have melted my face off? Only thing that I'm not very happy with is that this is not a cruelty-free brand.
Repurchase: Yes

You got through this empties post (phew!) so, congratulations! Soldiering on to pare my collection down!

No comments:

Post a Comment